Do you experience frequent headaches? Do you have difficulty chewing, swallowing or even opening your mouth? Does your jaw lock up? If you answered “yes” to these questions, you may have a TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder.
Before beginning treatment, Dr. Kenneth Karamyan will sit you down and assess your physical and medical condition to determine the most likely cause of your disorder. Common causes of TMJ are:
1. Arthritis: arthritis damages the cartilage in joints, causing pain and misalignment in the jaw.
2. Jaw trauma: if the jaw area is struck with enough force, the discs can be knocked out of alignment.
3. Misalignment: As jaw structure changes over time, the system doesn’t always fit together as it should.
4. Stress and teeth grinding: Plenty of people grind their teeth in their sleep or as a result of stress. Not everyone tooth-grinder develops a TMJ disorder, but teeth grinding elevates your risk level.
5. Gender: TMJ disorders most often occur in women between the ages of 20 and 40, leading scientists to believe there could be a link between TMJ disorders and female hormones.
If you are currently dealing with pain in your jaw and suspect you may have a TMJ disorder, contact Presidio Dental at 415.737.0430 and schedule a time to come see us in San Francisco, California. Don’t suffer through a TMJ disorder longer than necessary. Visit Dr. Kenneth Karamyan and learn how to treat your unhappy jaw.